Wednesday 23 March 2011

To Felt or Not To Felt

I mentioned in my last post I was at a feltmaking class on Saturday and I have a few pictures to share with you.  This was only my second class and I'm definitely becoming addicted!  Its amazing how you can start with a few balls of wool and make almost anything from flowers to vessels, scarfs to slippers and even clothes (when you have way more experience than I do).  We made flowers this time and here's how it turned out.


The cookie and a cuppa tea were of course essential to a good session of feltmaking:) The wool you use is very fine and basically you pull out thin strands and lay them in any pattern you like depending on what you're making.  As we were making flowers I laid mine out in the shape of a lilly.


Once the strands of wool are laid out you soak them in soapy water and then fold bubblewrap over it and rub it.  This helps bind the fibres together and felt them.  You then spend an aching 5 minutes rolling your felt to shrink it to size and fully bind it. Its a great work out for your arms lol.

And here is the finished product............


I also made this pink flower too


I can't wait to see what we make next month and I'd recommend trying felting to anyone.  I'd love to hear what everyone else's hobbies are.  How do you like to spend your free time?





2 comments:

  1. That lily is seriously beautiful! I love how you used bright colours in the centre :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. your flowers look great!! I am glad you are addicted to felting all the best people are!!

    ReplyDelete